Monday, May 17, 2010

Eat the Menu: Tacodeli, Day 5

This is part of an ongoing series about my quest to try all of the yumminess at local restaurant Tacodeli. See my eat the menu tag for the other parts of the series.

I didn't make it to Tacodeli over the weekend, but today I resumed my trek through the menu. Today I had the Monday special (El Picosito) and the first beef taco on the menu (Frontera Fundido Sirloin).

I had high hopes for El Picosito. The menu describes it as "succulent beef tenderloin in a chipotle sesame pipian with fresh avocado and queso fresco." I'm pretty sure I'd had this before at Tacodeli North, but it wasn't as spicy before as it was today (it seems like Tacodeli Central is a little spicier than Tacodeli North in general). The spice covered up the tastiness of the pipian a bit, unfortunately. It was still pretty good, but it was no Mole Taco Chicken. I give it 0.8 moles.

I had no expectations for the Frontera Fundido Sirloin, "grilled sirloin with sautéed poblano pepper and onion strips glazed with melted monterrey jack cheese." It was a fairly straightforward, simple taco, but it turned out to be really tasty. I mean, compared to what I expected it to be. In this case, the taco exceeded my expectations, but that still puts it at 0.8 moles.

In summary:

  • El Picosito: 0.8 moles
  • Frontera Fundido Sirloin: 0.8 moles
Tomorrow is an exciting day. It's the first time I'll have already had everything that's on special, so I'll need to figure out two tacos for myself. Any suggestions (PDF) would be welcome in the comments.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Mojo fish mojo fish mojo fish mojo fish

Damon Clinkscales said...

Yes, love the mojo fish.

For something different, you could order the "Freakin' Vegan" (not on the menu) :)